Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Are the words Unusual and Rare ever a good sign?

Ok, Two doctors appointments today (three if I include the psychologist) totaling eight hours, it almost felt like a work day.

     First was the Psychologist who went over my life with me and agreed I had issues, but none of those were contributing to the chinese new year fireworks show going off in my vision. I felt very comfortable with him, too bad he does not take any insurance... Or I would go see him again.

     Next was a neurological consultation at Thomas Jefferson. The N5 (Neurologist #5) gave me the same results as all the other ones... Optic Migraines and a new medicine. N5 (who is on a one year fellowship) brought in one of the full time doctors who commented as soon as he walked in the door, "So I hear you have some unusual symptoms. I became a side show freak for the neurology department at Thomas Jefferson... he had to come in to see the freak. Talking with him he gave several warnings about the medication, one of which was if I started to get blisters in my mouth go to the emergency room immediately... Good to know it would be the medicine since I have not been out with anyone for four months now.

     He described what the typical migraine aura is and asked me if that is what I had. I said no and described 20 of the different ones I do get and the blindness. He said it sounds similar to optic migraines... similar (But not what he described).

     I asked him would this medication also help with all of my other symptoms (ie. Fatigue, trembling of hands and legs, concentration issues, and memory loss). He related that what I have is "Rare" and we will have to see...

     I do not like the words unusual and rare coming out of my doctor's mouth. I would much prefer rare and unusual being gems or precious metals I have found or the sushi guy telling me of an unusual and rare fish I would get to try.

     I was also given prescriptions for Riboflavin, Melanin (spelling is off there), and a study in biofeedback for the stiff neck and back that I get.

     I left there not feeling very confident that they know what is going on with me.

     I went to my cardiologist and got a carotid ultrasound and the only good outcome from that would be if I got to have a picture of it and hang it up on my fridge and show all my friends... but alas it looked good but I did not get a picture.

     Next week I will look like Borg (not Bjork because that would be weird) with wires coming out of my head  and chest to do two different studies...

     Wish me luck only 100 more doctors appointments left... If I forgot anything which I probably did, I will update later...

No comments:

Post a Comment